ClearWater Academy is a private, state-of-the-art school for children with learning differences. While academics are at the forefront of our program, we offer an all-inclusive, unique blend of social-emotional development instruction, assistive technology and therapies in a sensory-sensitive environment to enhance your child’s learning and development.
We currently accept students diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome, a nonverbal learning disability, language-based learning disabilities, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, dyslexia, sensory integration problems or other neurodevelopmental diagnoses. We serve children from first grade through attainment of a high school diploma.
ClearWater consults with a local neuropsychologist in order to assess each student and develop a personal instruction plan tailored to the child’s needs and abilities.
ClearWater Academy is divided into a Lower School and Upper School. Both schools share a number of features and benefits:
- Low student-to-teacher ratios
- Teaching Assistant in each classroom with a prerequisite of an Associate degree or higher and trained in the same ClearWater Academy specialized curriculum as the Lead Teacher
- Accredited by the Georgia Accrediting Commission, Inc. – 2009
- Individualized consultation and instructional planning consulting neuropsycologist
- Embedded Strategic Learning Coaching
- Exclusive, comprehensive social/emotional development program
- Use of The DIR® FLOORTIME™ approach
- Occupational therapy with full OT gym
- Speech/language therapy
- Therapeutic horseback riding once per week, fall and spring
- Art instruction
- Recreational therapy once per week provided by Outdoor Rec. Adventures
- Assistive technology, with an individualized technology assessment and plan developed for each student
- Full science lab
- Fully-equipped kitchen for student/teacher use to develop academic, sensory and social skills
- SmartBoard interactive whiteboard system in classroom
- Georgia Special Needs Scholarship (SB10) accepted
Lower School Program
The Lower School has a smaller student ratio and is targeted at the kindergarten through elementary educational stages. While focusing on academics, the Lower School program aggressively incorporates occupational and speech therapies, both individual and group. Recreational, horseback and aquatic therapies are also offered weekly. Research has shown that early interventions such as these can have a great positive effect and outcome on a child’s growth and development as well as physically and emotionally regulating the child to become a successful learner.
The Lower School has several distinct characteristics and benefits:
- Ages 6-11
- Maximum 6 students per classroom
- Individual occupational therapy (OT) and speech therapy
- Group OT and group speech therapy
- Aquatic therapy weekly during winter months in place of therapeutic riding
- Individualized and personalized iPads for each student for use during the school day
Upper School Program
The Upper School is our middle and high school program. The primary focus of the Upper School program shifts away from the individualized therapies and toward group therapies. The Upper School intensifies in the areas of academics, computer technology and social-emotional development. The Upper School program has a greater student ratio of 8 students per classroom, and consequently a lower tuition. Individual occupational and speech therapies may be arranged and contracted privately with our providers by parents or guardians at their own expense, and may be scheduled into the school day. ClearWater provides each student with a Chromebook. Ages may overlap from classroom to classroom depending on the student’s assessed strengths and challenges.
Distinct Upper School characteristics:
- Ages 11-attainment of a high school diploma
- Maximum 8 students per classroom
- Group occupational theraphy (OT) and group speech therapy
- Martial arts, rock climbing therapy or other supplemental therapy weekly during winter months in place of therapeutic riding