What is CIA at ClearWater Academy? It stands for Career, Independence and Academics for Life. What does this mean? ClearWater Academy has instituted a program for our Upper School students that involves the students in all aspects of real life! At the beginning of the 2016-17 school year, the Upper School teachers instituted the breakfast program. The preparing of breakfast encompasses all of the aspects of the CIA program.
- Career – The students earn money by selling Chick-fil-A biscuits on Mondays to fund their breakfast for the rest of the week. With this income they have to plan, manage, and budget their breakfast expenses.
- Independence – The students learn the importance of eating a healthy breakfast, tips for cooking, as well as personal and food safety standards in the kitchen. They also prepare shopping lists and shop for the items.
- Academics for Life –
- Math: budgeting and managing money, measuring, time
- Language Arts: reading ads, labels, lists and flyers
- Science: nutrition, cooking
This is yet another way that CWA prepares their students to work towards independence and to gain life skills that will benefit them once they leave CWA.
Here are some of the students hard at work in the kitchen!